photo courtesy of stockfreeimages.com
I remember sitting in Sunday School back in the day…
- Singing songs like The B-I-B-L-E
- Getting a star next to my name for memorizing my Bible verse
- Winning the Father Abraham dance
- Wearing my clip on tie while carrying my white pocket New Testament
If you didn’t grow up in church, well then this stuff probably doesn’t make much sense to you (consider yourself lucky!!)
I also remember our Sunday School teacher breaking out the flannel graph board and teaching us about Daniel and the lions den.
The story goes a little something like this…
King Darius set a new law that demanded everyone to pray to him.
When Daniel heard about the new law he did what he always did. He went home to a room upstairs and opened the windows that looked out over the city. Three times that day he went down on his knees and prayed to God just like he always had.
Daniel was busted for standing up for what he believed in!
The cops broke in.
He was arrested.
And Big D was thrown in the lions den.
So what’s this have to do with parenting??
Mom and Dad…listen up!!
We must teach our kiddos that it’s an honor to be cuffed and thrown in the lions den.
We must teach our kids to be bold for Christ. We must teach our kids to NOT water His message down. We must teach our kids to get up and walk out of inappropriate movies. We must teach our kids to be UN ashamed. We must teach our kids reject materialism. We must teach our kids to be a friend to the UN popular. We must teach our kids to reach out to the addict. We must teach our kids to reject idols, pursue Jesus, share their faith and pray for their friends.
PARENTS BEWARE: When you teach your kiddos to live this radical life…
- They WILL be thrown in the lion’s den.
- They WILL be laughed at.
- They WILL be made fun of.
- They WILL be labeled a weirdo.
- They WILL be lonely.
- They WILL be blessed.
- They WILL experience the supernatural power of God in their lives.
- They WILL live in God given peace.
- They WILL be a voice for God.
- They WILL be used to change the world.
Mom and Dad…have the lions den conversation today.
Teach your kiddos (no matter their age) that it is an honor to be cuffed and thrown in the lions den.
Are your kids bold for Christ? OR Do your kids struggle to stand up for Christ?