*photo courtesy of stockfreeimages.net
- Be a Sunday School attending, first to show up and first to leave church, Home School/Christian school will fix it all, you can’t date until you’re 18, 7 days a week devotion, you will attend church camp, Scripture-quoting, K-LOVE always on the radio family!!?! Have a problem with this? Please email me your concerns at firstname.lastname@example.org!
- Say NO to everything. (JUST SAY YES is a must read post)
- Focus on one child when you should be spending time with all your children.
- Be a boring old hag that is void of joy, laughter, stupidity and practical jokes. (Read THIS practical joke Team Sprad played)
- Never say, show, exhibit, demonstrate how much you love your kids. (Forget the macho crap dad!)
- Expect your kids’ to be excited about church services that are geared primarily toward adults.
- Be a lazy and inconsistent “Christian” parent.
- Declare war on “outward things” like tattoo’s, piercings, hair color, Billy Idol t-shirt’s, Goth trench coats, secular music, shall I go on??
Here is what my friend Dr. Tim Kimmel has to say about this one…
“Does it make any sense to declare war on these “things” in their lives when they are only the outward symbols of the inner turmoil? Wouldn’t common sense suggest that we concentrate on getting the fire in their souls under control? When we do, these outward things tend to take care of themselves. To fight with our children over external expressions of internal problems only makes matters worse.”
- Forgetting that lying, laziness, forgetfulness, back talk and leaving homework papers at school are not catastrophic events…but just a part of growing up.
- Be harsh, overly critical, make your kids cower in fear and walk on egg shells.
Do you struggle with consistently doing one of the things on this list? If so, which one?
**Most of today’s content came from Dr. Tim Kimmel’s book Why Christian Kids Rebel. This is the SINGLE BEST book I have ever read on parenting, and you can order it HERE.