One of my bro’s has a daughter (she’s 11) that plays competitive soccer. I went to her game last week, and let me just say that her team is unbelievable. I’m not much of a soccer guy, but I recognize talent when I see it. Plus, their coach has one of them foreign accents, you know if they have a soccer coach with one of them foreign accents, they gotta be good! (can you tell I’ve been back in Oklahoma for a couple of weeks now?)
So as I’m watching this game, all of a sudden I hear the parents of the opposing team scream out…
“beat those little bitches!!”
Seriously, no freaking lie!
Then, one of classiest comments from the cheap seats was when one of the mom’s, with her “red solo cup” full of morning power screamed for all the girls to hear…
“Put a f*@!* cleat in her leg!”
I know this is a ridiculous, over the top, Jerry Springerish extreme case and while you many not be screaming “beat those little bitches” you do fit the description of being one of “those” sports parents.
Not sure if that’s you or not? Let me help you out.
5 Signs you’re one of “those” Sports Parents…
- You have argued with a parent on the other team.
- You critique your kids performance before the sweat had dried on their uniform.
- You “believe” you have the right to confront the coach about his strategy and your kids playing time.
- You make comments that undermine teammates, the coach and officials.
- You treat your child differently after a loss than after a win
If you are one of “those” parents, here are 5 commitments to keep your sports parent “tongue” under control…
- Make a commitment to speak well of everyone.
- Make a commitment to shut your freakin mouth (don’t discuss the details of the game until the next day).
- Make a commitment to watch the game in silence (no yelling at refs, kids or the coach).
- Make a commitment to NOT gossip about the coach, players or parents to others.
- Make a commitment to speak life and encourage coaches, refs and players.
Do you have any “out of control” sports parents on your team? Is your spouse an “out of control” sports parent?