This week @ EpicParent we are in a series called “5 Things”.
Today we are looking at…
5 THINGS EVERY SON NEEDS FROM HIS FATHER
- JESUS: So many fathers show their sons that they love the deal, TV, money, women, work, cell phones and their son’s success more than they actually love their sons. I believe that fathers MUST step up to the plate and show their sons that they love Jesus more than them or anything else in their life. That’s right dad! Your sons must know without a shadow of a doubt (old churchy language) that you love Jesus more than you love your very own flesh and blood. Model this and you will raise sons that will raise the bar and make Jesus the ruler of their life.
- BE A BOY: I just asked my oldest son, “Cole, what is one thing that you need from your dad?” He paused for a second and blurted out “dad, you just need to learn how to be a boy!!?!” “Dad, sometimes I just need to see you open the fridge, pull out a gallon of milk and chug it! No cups! No manners! Just do it like a boy does it!” ALLRIGHTY THEN… So, in case you didn’t know, Team Sprad loves to ride dirt bikes! We love the helmets, sweat, the smell of exhaust and the ear piercing scream of a two stroke engine! So a couple of years ago I grabbed my kiddos, their friends, our dirt bikes and we had the very first Team Sprad Mud Bowl. We rode our bikes, wrestled and laughed in the mud. Dad’s, sometimes we need to lose the manners, the tie, those ugly black socks you swore you would never wear and just be a boy!!
- TEACHING TIME: Dad’s, your kids need you to take the time to teach them. Take the time to teach them how to pump the gas, shoot a jump shot, make a game winning chess move, drive a car, risk taking, how to treat a lady, build a picnic table, shaving, make an omelet, the value of a dollar, ask a girl for a date, start a lawn business, to dance (HA!), to grill meat, that limp wristed handshakes are…, make a duct tape wallet, clean the house, help with laundry, about sex, to use a bow and how to spit like a man! I encourage all dads to make a list of “what” you need to teach your sons and get started.
- THE HARD WAY: The summer of my oldest son’s fourth grade year, I did the unthinkable! I made him get a job! That’s right! A job! Cole worked at a friend’s ranch Monday – Thursday, 8AM – 12PM. He learned to drive a golf cart, feed the animals, saddle a horse, ride in a cattle drive, wash the horse, pick up poo, clean the stable, speak Spanish, and the list goes on… The sad thing is that Cole never got paid a dime! Not a dime! He worked all summer, “thinking” that he was doing it for free. However, at the end of the summer I put a $350.00 check in his hand and told him, “work hard son, always do your best and you will get paid!” Are you a father that has chosen “THE EASY WAY” for your boys?
- YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES: Last weekend my son had a basketball tournament in Denver. He played about 5 hours of hoops and did a great job! He is no Sprad Senior, but he’s pretty good. Cole ran up to me as soon as the last game was over, sweat running down his face, smelling like recess, he looked me in the eyes and said, “Dad, how did I do!?!” He was really asking, “Dad, do you think I have what it takes?” Fathers, our boys desperately need our affirmation, belief and they need to hear us say, Son, I believe you have what it takes!” Fathers, do you withhold your approval? Give your boys the silent treatment? Act as if they are never good enough? Expect perfection?
What did I miss? What is one more thing all dad’s need to give their boys?