This week @ EpicParent we are in a series called “5 Things”.
Today we are looking at…
5 THINGS EVERY YOUNG LADY NEEDS FROM HER MOM
- JESUS: So many moms show their daughters that they love beauty, fashion, screaming (not all moms), a clean house, working out and face book more than their daughters. I believe that moms MUST re-prioritize their lives and show their daughters that they love Jesus more than them or anything else in their life. That’s right mom! Your daughters must know without a shadow of a doubt (old churchy language) that you love Jesus more than you love your very own flesh and blood. Model this you will raise a young lady that makes Jesus #1 and her husband #2.
- YOU: Mom’s, the greatest gift, next to Jesus, that you could ever give your daughters if the gift of “you”. My wife has been in nursing school the past few months and I was determined to keep a clean house, good meals, folded clothes and run an efficient household. My focus became PROVIDING FOR instead of BEING WITH. Ladies, the reality is that when your daughters are grown and into the next season of life they will not remember having clean socks, an immaculate kitchen or good meals. They will remember the “Gift of You”. They need your PRESENCE not your PRESENTS.
- THE GIFT OF NO: Your daughters need you to tell them “NO”! They need you to tell them, “No, you’re not dating at such a young age”, “No, you’re not wearing that outfit”, “No, you will never talk to your dad that way”, “No, you’re not watching that show”, “No, you can’t spend the night with that family”, “No, you are not ready to go to the school dance”, “No, you’re not staying home from church again”, “No, you will not talk to your brothers that way”, “No, you’re just not allowed to see that movie” and “No, your dad said you can’t get married until your 38″. The reality is that we live in a world where moms try really hard to be their daughter’s friends. I understand and agree with this parenting style to a degree, the truth is that young ladies need mom’s and they need them to say “NO”!
- AN EXAMPLE TO MODEL NOT A SERMON TO FOLLOW: This is from my good friend Kate Holzman, who has the most Godly balanced parents on the earth! This statement is so true! Your daughters need a mother that will model modesty, love, patience, low volume discussions, a missional lifestyle, purity, true beauty, and the list goes on! Mom’s, MAKE YOUR LIFE SPEAK SO LOUDLY THAT YOUR DAUGHTERS CAN HEAR WHAT YOU SAY!
- MAN HONORING MOM: I encourage all moms to build up their husbands in front of their daughters. I love it when Jodie tell Kylie how much she loves me, why I work so hard, that I am a stud, that no one can speak like her dad, that I am the best father in the world, that I love Jesus more than anything else in my life and that I am the best dancer in the state!! (This is a Team Sprad insiders joke…maybe I’ll explain it in a later post). We need more moms’ that will honor, respect and speak life about their husbands. I know that this will ignite a fire storm for some of the ladies reading today. Some of you might be thinking, “If he honors me, I will honor him”, “give me something to honor first” or “if he stops working so much I might consider it”. If you are living in a bad home life situation or your husband is outright abusive (mentally, physically or emotionally) I encourage you to seek counsel and immediate help for your situation. This post is not for extreme situations but for everyday and ordinary folks!
What did I miss? What is one more thing all moms need to give their daughters?