*photo courtesy of stockfreeimages.com
So here is the deal…
One day you will wake up and your kiddos will be gone!
And sadly to say, many of your marriages will be gone as well.
Yep, that’s right.
In the world we live in today, so many parents unintentionally neglect their marriage and intentionally invest in their kids.
Not sure if this is you?
Here are 5 signs that you choose your kids over your spouse.
- It’s been more than 60 days since you have had a date night; but you rarely miss a football practice.
- Your sex life has dwindled because the kids always sleep in your room.
- You try to “protect” your kids by hiding their secrets from your spouse.
- Your kids frequently say, “please don’t tell dad.”
- Your spouse secretly resents that you choose your son over her. Not sure about this? Ask them.
Is this you? Do you struggle with putting your kiddos before your spouse? If so, you might try 1 of these 5 remedies.
- DATE NIGHT: Get it on the calendar. In stone. Immovable. Come hell and high water…you don’t miss this.
- YOUR SECRET IS SAFE WITH ME: I believe that all parents should have the conversation I call the “Your Secret Is Safe With Me And Your Mom” conversation. Make sure your kiddos understand that what mom knows…dad knows!
- KICK THEIR FREAKING BUTT OUT: No sex is no bueno! Get your kiddos out of the room and start running the bases.
- NEVER TALK TO MY WIFE THAT WAY: One day my oldest son was sassmouthing Jodie. I jumped right in the middle of the conversation and said something like… “Mr. Spradlin, you may talk to your friends that way, but you will NEVER talk to my wife that way again!!”.
- GETCHA SUM: It may be time for you to break out with a little PDA (public display of affection) in front of your kiddos. I don’t think you should slobber kiss and throw your husband on the kitchen table in front of them (that’s ok in private!!)…but some kisses, hand holding, hugs, love you’s and boodie grabbing is appropriate. Let your kiddos visibly see how much you love your spouse.
Do you struggle with this? Do you put your kiddos before your spouse? If so, leave a comment and let me know your thoughts.