photo from stockfreeimages.com
Definition of WIMP: a weak, cowardly, or ineffectual person (M-W.com)
- DRIVE THEM TO SCHOOL: This isn’t necessarily a sign in and of itself, but the reality is that many parent’s don’t allow their kids to ride the bus to school because of the negative influences. There are some of you reading this and your kids’ are nowhere ready to ride the bus to school. However, there are some of you reading this, and allowing/making your kids’ ride the bus is the next step towards their independence. Mom and Dad, a bus ride to school may be just what the Doc ordered to develop bravery, courage and independence.
- ATTEND EVERY GAME & PRACTICE: Parents are over involved in their kids’ sports. I believe that pushy, over-zealous sports parents are guilty of an “acceptable form of child abuse.” If you attend every practice, every game, every clinic, every camp and every pick up game in town your kiddos will become dependent upon your attendance, will glance to the sidelines for your approval and will “WANT IT” because you “WANT IT.” Stop being consistently present and allow your kids’ to “WANT IT” because they “WANT IT.”
- MEDICATE THEM: Uh-oh!! Did he just say that!!?! Yep, I shooow did! Here is the deal, I believe in medicine. I believe that if your child has a deficiency and medicine can level them out, go for it! I believe that God has given some the ability to create cures and that medicine can be a gift straight from God. However, I also believe that some parents use MEDS for their own deficiency and laziness in parenting. Are your kids loud, distracted, anxious, depressed, over weight, thin and addicted? MEDS may be the answer, but first let’s try God centered, intentional, values based, passionate, consistent parenting first! If you don’t like what I had to say on this…feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- RESCUE THEM FROM FAILURE: Let your freakin kids fail! Let them screw up! Let them blow it big time! Let them make wrong decisions! Let them make downright stupid decisions! Let them make irrational purchases! Shall I go on?? I just gotta say that I am a complete idiot most of the time and typically the only way that I learn is from making stupid mistakes. Prepare your kids’ for the real world and let them fail.
- EXPECT TOO LITTLE: At the Sprad household we have crazy, high, irrational, raise the bar, if you can’t stand the heat get out of the kitchen expectations. Jodie and I expect THEM to start their own business. We expect THEM to make sure the house is cleaned. We expect THEM to feed the dogs. We expect THEM to take out the trash. We expect THEM to clean their room. We expect THEM to mow our disabled neighbor’s yard. We expect THEM to reach out to hurting kids’ at school. We expect THEM to pursue God without our prodding. So…Mom & Dad, it’s time to raise the bar!!
LEAVE A COMMENT: Do you expect too little or to much from your kids? Do you feel like you are currently raising a “WIMP?”