My momma always told me…
“If you hang around with dogs, you get fleas!”
“If you hang with kids that drink, smoke & chew, your gonna run around with girls that DO”
Listen up!! This “friend” area of parenting is way too overlooked.
It’s easy to become “sidetracked” with music lessons, homework, dance and practice YET we neglect the one thing that will take our kids OUT! (their friends)
Remember back to the 80′s. The land of Loverboy, parachute pants, Polo cologne and spike hair do’s?
When I remember back to the 80′s, here’s what I remember!!
When I hung with cussers…I cussed.
When I hung with guys focused on “gettin sum”…I was “gettin ME sum”
When I hung around with people that loved Jesus…I was lovin Jesus.
For all the parents out there, I have put together a 6 Point Friend Check List! That’s right! Your kids find a new friend, pull them in the garage, pop the hood and see if they pass this 6 point check list.
Friend Check List For Non – Shavers
- ATTITUDE: Does his mother always make excuses for his behavior at playgroup?
- SERVANT HEART: Does he share his Fun Dip with other kids at school?
- HONOR: Does he honor adults by first time obedience?
- INTEGRITY: Is he honest, or does he lie to cover his butt?
- COMPASSION: Does he have to be in the “cool crowd” or will he friend the “outcast”?
- JESUS: Do his parents make Jesus a priority?
Friend Check List For Shavers
- ATTITUDE: Is he selfish and willing to throw anyone under the bus to be the star of his own show?
- SERVANT HEART: Does he pay attention to others and try to help them out?
- HONOR: Does he shake adults hands and look them in the eye?
- INTEGRITY: Is he the same person in front of his parents as he is with his peers?
- COMPASSION: Does he seek out and friend the “underdog”?
- JESUS: Is he a sold out, weird Jesus kind of a guy?
Parents, sit down with your kids and get more involved in their “friend world”. (Just don’t be creepy)
Are you ENGAGED or DIS-ENGAGED when it comes to your kids friends? Share your story…