Wow!! What a crazy night for Americans! I remember when CNN broke into regular programming to announce that President Obama had an important National Security briefing for the nation.
Before the story actually broke, Team Sprad went nuts trying to figure out what could be happening?
- Was America under red alert for terrorist attacks?
- Is North Korea going to try to erase America from the map?
- Did soldiers take Osama out?
- Was the President just trying to overshadow Trump and Celebrity Apprentice?
Then President Obama took the spotlight, front row and center and informed the Country that “Osama Bin Laden has been killed!” This is a monumental win for a nation that has been desperate for a monumental win. It reminded me of President Bush’s speech just on the heels of 9.11 that rallied a hurting nation.
I believe that parents should not let this slip by, we should take the time to unpack the significance of this event with our kids…
7 Lessons To Teach Your Kids About Osama Bin Laden’s death
- REMEMBER: Rough estimates show that nearly 3,500 people were killed in the 9.11 attacks. Those killed that day were moms, dads, uncles, aunts, children, police as well as fire fighters. The briefing of Osama’s death is monumental to Americans but HISTORIC to the families of those that lost loved ones.
- UNITED: I will never forget the clips of American’s gathering in front of the White House waving flags and singing the National Anthem. Teach your kids that American’s will always disagree on politics, religion and war but today they are seeing a Nation that is rallying and united!
- SOWING & REAPING: Scripture is very clear that what you sew you will reap. Osama sewed a life full of hatred, evil and murder and he has just reaped the crop of death.
- GRATITUDE: We live in a world where nations are starving, people are abused and evil dictators control their people. But we have the grand opportunity to live in a Country that does has problems, but we are free! Our kids should not take this for granted and must walk in gratitude.
- TERRORISM LIVES: This has been an epic night for America! However, we must prepare our kids that while this is a win for America, terrorism still lives. Parents should take this time to prepare our kids for even greater outbreaks of terrorism.
- GOD IS IN CONTROL: Parents, take this opportunity to reinforce that God is in control. I don’t pretend to know or believe that it is God’s will or plan for American Troops to take out Osama, but nevertheless in the good times and in the bad, God is in control.
- GOD LOVED OSAMA: This is where many of you may check out! Yes! Osama was a murderer that is full of hate and evil but I believe that no matter how evil this man was, God still loves him. Parents must teach their kids that God’s love is not dependent on what we do or do not do.
What did I miss? What else should we be teaching our kids about the death of Osama Bin Laden?