- 70% of kids 0 – 8 watch 1hr. & 52 minutes of television a day.
- Half of kids under 8 (and 40% of 2- to 4-year-olds) have access to a smartphone, iPad or some other mobile media device.
- Kids under 2 spend more than twice as much time watching videos as they do being read to.
- About 80% of children between the ages of 0 and 5 who use the Internet in the United States do so on at least a weekly basis.
- 60% of children under age three watch videos online..
- 7.5 million Facebook users are below the age of 13.
- Kids 13 – 17 years of age send/receive an average of 2,899 texts a month.
The other day my youngest son, Tifton Jack, came home from school and wouldn’t shut up about the over head projector his teacher used in class. I guess he had never seen one before (?) but he was floored by the technology straight from the 60′s.
The Jack Hammer was so impressed that he decided he was going to make his own overhead projector!
Check out his supply list…
So Tifton went to work and just a few hours later, he had made his own fully functioning, Team Sprad certified, church lyrics displaying qualified, over head projector!
Listen up parents!!
Tifton had come home and jacked around on his Kindle Fire, watched SpongeBob SquarePants on the tube or played games on the iPad he would never had used his God given brain to innovate, create, or problem solve.
I’m not one of those parents that says “to hell with media”!
However, I do believe that media is killing, destroying, and stifling our kids’ ability to think, create, devise, innovate, dream, and change the world.
And parents, just in case you wanted to know!
If you allow your kids to sit in a vegetative state in front of the hellavision!! If your kids are getting carpel tunnel from sending thousand of texts. If your kids can recite every line of Talledega Nights. And if your kids had rather sit on the couch and eat goldfish instead of rolling in the grass. (I think you get the idea)
Well then Mom and Dad…
You should be cuffed and locked away for ACCEPTABLE CHILD ABUSE!!
Yep!! You heard me right.
Cuffed and locked away!
3 Quick Tips To Get The Innovation Going In Your Kids…
- Replace SpongeBob with Lego’s
- Have your kids list 10 (creative/innovative) uses for a lawn chair (let them dream)
- Give them 1 project to create and execute each month
Mom & Dad!! I would love to have you leave a comment. Tell us if you think you are guilty of ACCEPTABLE CHILD ABUSE.