**photo by Tifton, Domo bowling…Tif did this when he was bored…read on!
THIS IS AN EPICPARENT.TV RE-POST. FRIDAYS i AM TYPICALLY SPENDING TIME W/ TEAM SPRAD SO I TRY TO STAY DISCONNECTED…A PRACTICE WHAT I PREACH THING. IN 2011 FRIDAY’S WILL TYPICALLY BE A GUEST BLOGGER OR A RE-POST OF AN EPICPARENT.TV FAVORITE.
How Do You Typically Spend Your Day?
on your crack berry – working – taking care of babies – face book - Bible studies - working out
How Does Your Child, Spend His/Her Day?
texting – school – football – piano – student council – chess – youth group - cruising (do kids still do that)
As parents, we typically pass our busy, un-breathable schedules down to our kids…here is some simple parenting advice…
Stop The Madness & Bore Your Kids!!!
The world we live in today says…BE FASTER, TOUGHER, QUICKER, SMARTER, PRETTIER, MUSCLIER (don’t think this is a word), you get the idea…
I believe kids should be involved in activities; my kids do a few different things. However, I think parents should make a shocking, counter cultural, IRRATIONAL parenting move, and that is to BORE YOUR KIDS! Don’t always schedule them, turn off the TV, put away the phone, shut down X-box, friends don’t have to be over all the time, make them sit still….
Here is what I have found when I intentionally bore my kids…
CREATIVITY & INNOVATION THRIVES
Here are a few things that have been birthed out of boring my kids…
- My oldest has invented a new fly fishing product (hope to launch it next spring in Colorado)
- Tifton (my youngest) invents cartoon characters and storylines
- Kylie has started working on writing a couple of books
- They read God’s Word and spend time talking with him
- They color
- They ask a ton of questions about life
- They talk and play with each other
- Honestly, they are just happier, more engaged, considerate and real!
Will you consider boring your kids? If so, what will you take away first?