*photo courtesy of stockfreeimages.com
Since so many of you are new to EpicParent…
I decided to go retro with today’s post.
We’re pulling from the archives!
That’s right baby, going back to 2010 and talking about the tongue!
Here we go…
So what the heck is Yelling Parent Syndrome?
Parents that can’t shut the heck up.
Parents that choose to turn the volume up instead of down.
Parents that get frustrated and discipline with a verbal lashing of the tongue.
If you can’t tell…we’re talking about screaming and hollering today.
You may not have yelling parent syndrome, but I know that there are some of you that wish you could bring your tone down a few decibels.
The tough part about bringing the volume down is that our kiddos give us a ton of good reasons to yell!! (can I get an AMEN)
HERE ARE A FEW GOOD REASONS TO YELL…
- When your kids don’t put away their clean clothes the first 9 times you ask.
- When your oldest keeps pestering the youngest, until tears emerge.
- When your kids have Skull Candy’s shoved in their ears & have RATT (round & round) blasting on their Ipod!
- When your kids run around the house screaming, dancing, chasing each other with plastic bats, playing dodge-ball, jumping from couch to couch & they pop you in the eye with an air soft pellet!!!!!
Although we have thousands of great reasons to yell, the reality is that it hurts our kid’s hearts, scare’s them, scars them, gives birth to anger issues and over time they will typically yell back and this can create a generational cycle.
6 TIPS TO TEMPER YOUR TONE:
- Ask 3 of your closest friends to pray for you.
- Gather your kids (little ones to teens), tell them you want to work on your tone, give them permission to somehow let you know when your tone is escalating (hand signal ~ i don’t recommend the bird).
- Have a close friend keep you accountable, a quick phone call each day to check in on you.
- Remember the look of fear in your child’s eyes while yelling at them…know that you put it there.
- Your going to blow it, simply ask for forgiveness (each time).
- Run to your room, lock the door, crawl under the bed and stuff a sock in your mouth!
Do you struggle w/ your tone? If so, share your story…