Americans love to celebrate! Check out all of these “American Holidays”…
- January 17: Blessing Of The Animals At The Cathedral Day
- February 17: Champion Crab Racers Day
- September 15: National Felt Hat Day
- December 11: National Noodle Ring Day !!?!
And then there is today…
Definition of Labor Day: a day set aside for special recognition of working people…
That’s right baby! This is the holiday where Americans celebrate work! Achievement! 401K’s! The entrepreneurial spirit! 75 hour work weeks! Closet workaholics! Parents that have lost what really matters just to chase the American Dream!!
Ahhh…..I love Labor Day!
Sorry for the ridiculous sarcasm (kind of), but it is just sort of funny that Americans have a holiday set aside where we take off time from work to celebrate the fact that we love to not take time off!!
So anyway, this really doesn’t have anything to do with parenting other than the fact that…
- Kids of workaholics lead the way in drug use and teenage pregnancies
- Kids of workaholics typically grow up to repeat the same pattern of workaholicism
- Kids of workaholics have more struggles with relationships and insecurities
- Kids of workaholics have a greater struggle with people pleasing
- Kids of workaholics grow up and learn not to trust their parents
- Kids of workaholics grow up learning that promises aren’t kept
- Kids of workaholics use negative behaviors to try and attract attention
So lets get out the grill, eat some BBQ, throw down on some watermelon and chill by the pool! Today is a day where we get to celebrate us and take pride in the fact that we love to work!!!
Disclaimer: (Read this section in the quiet fast talking voice at the end of car commercials.) These are my personal thoughts and in no way do the thoughts, expressions, writings, or content of this post directly represent my companies, clients, sponsors, or any other organization that I’m affiliated with.
Do you struggle with being a workaholic? Leave a comment and share your story.