BEST OF EPICPARENT.TV: ARE YOU A WORKAHOLIC STAY AT HOME MOM!!?!

dew drops in stop sign

photo courtesy of stockfreeimages.com

5 Signs Your A Workaholic Stay At Home Mom:

• You rush through simple, bonding, loving, nurturing and unplanned special moments with your kids to get to the “planned activity”.
  • Your kids always ask you, “what’s wrong”?  They can sense you don’t have time for them, you have to get to the next “task”.
  • No more healthy meals,  you just don’t have time!
  • Your exhausted, worn out, burnt out and have become the “yelling mom” because you just can’t get everything done.
  • Your priority has become doing laundry, cleaning, planning meals, going on field trips, sitting on the PTA, teaching sunday school…BLAH, BLAH, BLAH (am I right?).

6 Stress Free “Mom” Tips:

• DO Less Be More:  Stop doing as much and just be with your kids, they are simply hungry for your presence.
  • Be Good Enough: Mom’s with the never ending “task list” usually create unrealistic and stressful homes.  It’s ok to just be “good enough”.
  • Set Your Work Hours: It’s easy for mom’s to log in 12 to 15 hours a day, set your work hours and be done.
  • Have “ME” Time: You have to set aside time for just you…work out, soak in the hot springs (can you tell I live in Colorado), go to T.J. Maxx or get a pedicure
  • Time With Your Father: You have to set aside time with your Heavenly Father, if your not getting this right, nothing else is going to work.
  • Just Say No: Say no to a holiday party, school fundraiser or cooking dinner (my wife is next to me, she told me to write that :) )

Are you a workaholic mom?  Which of these “6 Stress Free Mom Tips” do you need to implement today?

Would you like to receive Epicparent’s newest posts by email?  If so, click HERE or to add it to your reader click HERE.

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Myspace
  • Google Buzz
  • Reddit
  • Stumnleupon
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Technorati
ChrisSprad
Author: ChrisSprad View all posts by
Chris Spradlin (AKA Sprad) is passionate about Jesus, he doesn’t drink coffee, is bald, has a chinhawk, lives in Edmond, OK., loves to fly fish and snowboard. He has been married to his smoking hot wife Jodie for 18 years and they have 3 kiddos also known as Team Sprad. Chris if the founder of EpicParent.tv and has been in ministry for 20 years. He has served as a Pastor and Team Teacher with Craig Groeschel at LifeChurch.tv and currently serves on the Executive Team and a Team Teacher at the multisite NewHopeChurch.tv. You can find Chris on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram.

12 Comments on "BEST OF EPICPARENT.TV: ARE YOU A WORKAHOLIC STAY AT HOME MOM!!?!"

1. Cindy Beall November 29, 2010 at 7:04 am - Reply

Good tips, my friend!

Off to go shop now! (not really)

2. Monica November 29, 2010 at 5:45 pm - Reply

How do you get your kids to understand that your workday is over if you try to set “work hours?”

3. mom of five November 29, 2010 at 5:50 pm - Reply

Need to set work hours…thanks, good stuff!

4. Leah November 29, 2010 at 9:58 pm - Reply

Great stuff. Do you think dads should read this too? I admit my to do lost is long bit of I don’t then who will? Overwhelmed!

5. KrisDot December 2, 2010 at 11:33 pm - Reply

Love it – except for the ‘work hours’ part. You don’t really ‘turn off’ or stop working as a mom when you have little ones! Do you have suggestions?

• Dusty Takle December 3, 2010 at 8:28 pm - Reply

I don’t think Chris is suggesting you turn off mommy work hours…just hours that keep us from engaging our children and enjoying stress-free time with them. It’s time out from housework and to-do lists and time on for being present.

6. Naomi May 25, 2011 at 9:30 am - Reply

Am definately not a workaholic stay at home mum. It does not seem the most productive way to work. I have set perimeters when I work and when I don’t. If my kids are in the house when I am working – in an emergency – they play or engross themselves in something. I am lucky my boys play nicely together.

• Sanne March 11, 2014 at 2:32 am - Reply

Brandon, it is funny, considering that with the New Year conmig up most of us usually rethink our decisions and take new paths in life.With that in mind, I’ve been thinking for a long time whether to quit one of my current bands.I am in two bands and as you mentioned juggling it all could be quite a daunting task.So this band probably has the better music but also the most lack of commitment or finances. Not that the other members are poor, but the fact that they don’t want to put anything into it financially. So the budget for recording is 0 and I have to produce a record somehow.On top of that personality-wise things are not fun. I don’t think we’re friends anymore. The other guitarist and I get along and then we currently have a female singer and a drummer along for the ride. We make them look good, not the other way around, at least how I see it. As the other guitarist and I write most of the tunes and lyrics (say about 98%), I produce all the music and we jointly do the drum ideas on a machine before taking it to the drummer who puts a bit of his own spin on it. We recently lost our bassist which pretty much kills our gigging ability and replacements are not that easy to find as we play prog metal and it is a technically challenging genre that requires skill. So to top everything else, I’ve also picked up bass duties, at least for the current record being produced.To put the final nail in the coffin, the drummer has pawned half of his kit, citing financial problems, then wants ot move us to a bigger and more expensive rehearsal space to accommodate a project he is a helping a friend with and to top insult to injury, he just bought a $1000 drum kit for his son. At the same time he can’t record because of half his kit is missing!I found a drummer replacement someone actually better that can come in and nail the songs but the other two people don’t want to go through drummer changes and hang on to this dude. So the way things are going:1) I have 0 fun in this band2) I see huge lack of commitment on the drummer’s behalf3) I write most of the music4) I get no support from the other members when the tough decision has to be made.So with all this, quitting seems like the only viable option as I can’t see anything serious happening with this record until September next year, which is way too far.Your article in a way defined or clarified some of these points, or maybe just provided another view into the situation which helps. I think I’ll finally make the right choice and quit.

7. Jana May 27, 2011 at 9:17 pm - Reply

Thank you for posting this! I am a working mom 10 months of the year and a stay at home mom 2 months a year. (Teaching schedule) Your post reminds me to just relax and enjoy being with my girls in the summer. Considering my “other job” just ended and my “best job” is just beginning, your post is very timely!

8. Dona February 10, 2012 at 4:40 pm - Reply

It’s hard to put away the to-do list. I try to schedule my day around my family and get my work done before I pick up my daughter from school. I can’t always do this but that is my goal and I make it most of the time. I also do stuff while she’s doing homework cause she’s at the age that she doesn’t need my help on it anymore. I feel guilty because my house isn’t as clean as I wish it were and I’m not as organized as I wish but I know that I’m doing the best thing. Our kids grow up so fast and then this time with them is gone forever. After my daughter, my last of 2 at home, grows up, then I can organize and clean. Until then I’m going to put the time to good use and teach her about God and spend time with her. My most important job!!

Leave A Response