*photo courtesy of stockfreeimages.com
I was hanging with my friend Tommy Oliver last month.
He was talking me through his parenting journey, and his “speech” went a lil something like this…
“When my first kiddo was born I was one of those ‘this kid has to be perfect’ parents. I over trained, over disciplined, over taught, over controlled and made sure that my first one was going to be ‘right!!’”
“When my second kiddo was born I was one of those ‘maturer – I’ll step back a bit parents’. I trained less, disciplined less, taught less, controlled less and was worried less if my second was going to be right.
“When my third kiddo was born, I guess the best way to say it is…”
MY GIVE A CRAP WAS BROKE
When Tommy said this, I laughed so hard I need to girdle up with some Depends. How freakin true is this?
So here is my question for you…
Is your parenting give a crap broke?
Are you tired, less intentional and handing out left overs?
If so, here are 5 tips to fix your parenting give a crap.
- GRATITUDE: As parents we must walk in gratitude of our children. Take some time each day and thank God for trusting you with them, their individual and unique gifts and the strength to parent well.
- BE INTENTIONAL: Set intentional time aside with all your kiddos. Maybe you have 3 minutes, 30 minutes or even an hour. Put this on the calendar today.
- DO THIS: Time strapped? THIS will speak life into your kids’ soul.
- LET THEM HELP: Take them grocery shopping, to run errands, help you mow the yard, etc…build them into your everyday life.
- GIVE THEM 15: Give them 15 minutes a day. Take 15 minutes at work and write them a note. Take 15 minutes in the morning and hit the Xbox. Take 15 minutes after dinner and throw the football. If you consistently take 15 minutes, you will wake up one year later and have spent 5,475 minutes.
BE HONEST. Is your parenting give a crap broke? If so, I would love to hear your story.